Thursday 5 April 2018

College Application Walkthrough

Hiya! I'm back again with another early post as I'm going away for the weekend tomorrow! I've decided to do a post walking you through applying to college. This is my personal experience, and yours may be different, but you'll probably get asked very similar things to me. I know this is a bit out of season, as most applications open in October and close in January, but I wanted to get this out there with plenty of time for the next year. So without further ado, here's how to apply to college...

1. Register for the website of the college you're applying for. This is only applicable for online applications. If you decide you want to leave your application and come back to it later, you will need these details to sign on again, so DON'T FORGET YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD! Personally, I received an email to confirm what my username was.
 
2. The application will start off by asking you about your personal details. This will include:
~ Biographical details (posh way of categorising your name, gender, ethnicity, etc)
~ Address
~ Your current school
~ What you want to study (in order of preference most likely)
~ Telephone details
~ Emergency contact(s)
~ Additional needs (disabilities, learning difficulties, etc)
 
3. You will now need to upload/complete a personal statement. On my college application, I was presented with a series of questions which required short (paragraph) answers, which formed a personal statement with the details the college were interested in. This included information such as why I was applying for the college, why I have selected my subjects, what my career path was, what I was considering for university (if you are considering university), my interests and I would be travelling to college.
 
4. The next step is to provide a reference from your school. If your school is catchment to the college then they may not ask for this.
 
5. They will now ask for your predicted grades. A tip here is that if you have a predicted grade which is lower than the grade you are consistently getting (for example I was predicted a grade 5 in English but was consistently achieving a grade 6), then speak to your subject teacher and see if it's worth putting the grade you are consistently achieving. This could be especially useful in core subjects (English and maths) and being predicted a 4 and consistently achieving a 5, as this is the difference between passing and not passing.
 
6. You will now have the opportunity to proceed to submit your application or wait and submit it later. If you feel your application is perfected and you've filled in all the information you want to include, then go ahead! Submit it! However, if you feel you may want to add to it later, or you want to double check on a new day, then leave it for now and submit it later, just don't forget about it!
 
7. The next step is to receive information about your interview with the college! Good luck!
 
And that pretty much sums up applying for college. This step-by-step guide is based off of the application of the college I am attending, as this was done online, as are most applications for college these days! I did also fill in a written application for a different college and it was pretty much the same! I don't actually know yet what next week's post will be about, but it will be up next Sunday as I should now be back to my usual upload schedule. Bye for now!
 
Ellen x
 

No comments:

Post a Comment